Thursday, August 9, 2012

Back in Bali

I am once again back in Bali and just love it here. On getting off the plane I was wondering why so many people where smiling, then I realised I was in Asia...sorry Europe! ;-)

First stop in Bali was to spend a few chilled out days in Ubud, the Balinese hub for artists, yogini's and health conscious folk. I spent some time detoxing, in attempt to help undo the damage I've done to my body traveling with missed nights of sleep, caffeine abuse, loads of refined carbs, you name it ;-)

As many of you would have experienced, the traffic here is crazy. I made the mistake of cycling around on a bike on my first day in Ubud and was almost taken by mopeds and cars during peak hour traffic.  I joined a posse of school children thinking there would be safety in numbers, only to realise my bike skills were no match for that of 8yo children and was promptly forced onto the footpath...lol :-)

I decided to ditch the exercise idea and hire a moped. I have no idea how Julia Roberts managed to look so elegant cycling around Ubud?

The locals here are very beautiful, kind people - I am continually amazed at their generosity. If spotted walking alongside the road, they are often happy to offer you a lift on the back of their moped, not because they are looking for a tip but just out of kindness. We could definately all learn something from the Balinese. The biggest problem here is the onslaught of tourists, mostly bogan aussie, that has almost destroyed the culture and beauty of this place. 

A few sites from around town...
Cremation ceremony
Beaming into the cosmos :-)
Temple at the monkey forest
'Water guardians' in the monkey forest
The Balinese place sarongs around sacred trees...cool :-)
Tempax Siring - amazing, sacred water temple. The local 'cleanse'
their spirit by bathing here on full and new moon.
Gorgeous! Tempax Siring
Tea/coffee tasting incl lowak coffee...the stuff pooed out by a small fluffy animal ;-)
Lake Batur...more volcanos :-)
Raw vegan treats at Alchemy cafe :-)
ROFL @ Alchemy :-)
Anyway, I am spending another month here in Bali, by the beach in Canggu for yoga teaching training. So far I am a week in and it has been an intense experience. My brain and body hurt. I am incredibly grateful for chocolate, massage and ocean swims right now...makes the process more bearable :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment