Monday, September 17, 2012

Back in Brisvegas....

Well, it's been almost 7 months since I was last 'at home' and what a ride it has been. I've been back in Brisneyland a week now, and it's been a bit of a blur catching up on sleep, with people etc.

I feel incredibly grateful for this time and space to explore the world, and myself. I've met so many amazing people, and learned more about myself than I ever would sitting behind a desk bashing out some SQL code ;-)

During this time there have been so many things I have learned, realised and let go of. So much I have been holding onto that has not been serving me and has been brought forward for release...but of course this is always a work in progress.

It's amazing how things have come together during this time and how irrelevant some of the fears were that come up around this trip. I don't know what I will be doing two months from now, but I am ok with that. The universe has looked after me so far, and I'm sure, it will continue to do so.

Some realisations I've had along the way…

We hold onto so much fear in our lives, what will we do for a job, how will we find one in this economy etc, when really this is not even the system that supports us or gives us life. Where we place our thoughts, and our energy in this life is so important. There are so many belief systems we are holding onto that are not important, or even relevant, and we give so much time, energy and fear to these, essentially handing over our personal power to something that is not even real. In this time I've had many realisations in terms of how our thoughts and energies create our personal reality, and our need to be focusing our attention on what we want in life, not what we don't want.

I've become much more mindful of where my personal thoughts and energies are going, and am learning to take responsibility for this. I've come to appreciate myself far more, acknowledge my own skills and abilities and to started to accept and step into my own personal power, rather than continually looking for it elsewhere, or blindly accepting someone elses truth.

I've connected with some of the most amazing sacred, energetic sites around the world, and have reconnected with a deep sense of respect for the earth and the wisdom of the ancient cultures before us. Looking back it's difficult to imagine how much resistance I had towards this trip. It took a giant leap of faith for me to follow intuitive advice, pack up and leave for 6 months, not really knowing where I was going, or what I was doing.

In this time I've experienced so much beauty, beyond that which I could possibly have imagined prior to leaving. Not to say that this time has not been without it's challenges. So many times I have seriously questioned the sanity behind what I was doing, but from this I have learned so much. There is also something about visiting another culture where you do not speak the language. I became much more aware of the non-verbal interaction I was having with others, finding it a necessity to just give kindness unconditionally. Doing this opens the door for the same from others, and people are more willing to assist. So many times I experienced and appreciated unconditional kindness from complete strangers, people who went out of their way to assist me, a lone traveller in a country where I do not speak the language. For this I am very grateful.

I've also come home with a new perspective of our culture here in Australia, some things I've learned to appreciate, some things not so much. For instance;

  •  I love that Australian culture is so informal, our relative lack of respect for so-called authority. The fact we can wear shorts and thongs in public, have visible tattoos, and for the most part, people don't blink an eye :-)
  • Our 'twangy' accents...ouch. Very noticeable after being away for a while ;-)
  • Whinging…seriously, I don't think we can continue to keep pointing fingers at the Poms for this. It is certainly a choice to complain, or to choose to do so in a constructive manner. We have so much in this country. I've met those who have so little in comparison, yet are so content, so joyful and just enjoy life, with gratitude for all they have.
  • We are quite sheltered from other cultures here in Australia, and our relative isolation means as a population we are typically not very well traveled or versed in other cultures. It was quite an eye-opener visiting Europe where it is the norm to speak 3 or 4 languages…I felt very uneducated ;-)
  • Some of the attitudes or intolerance we have in regards to other cultures. I was fortunate to experience so much kindness and generosity from others during this trip. I sincerely hope other tourists are treated the same way in Australia.
So anyway, for now I am back in Brisbane, but the journey is far from over. I am planning to move back to the UK soon, to the English countryside where my heart, resides :-)

There have been so many people here, back 'at home' whom I have thought of during my travels, and wished well from afar. Am hoping to catch up with as many of you as possible before starting on the next chapter of life. Much love to you all! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment